The Turbine House – one of Sweden’s first power stations

Slottsgatan, 722 11 Västerås Show on map

Historically, water has always been important for Västerås. It was thanks to water that Västerås experienced its first period of greatness in the 13th century when iron from Bergslagen started being shipped from the city’s harbour. The next period was when electricity was introduced into Sweden during the latter half of the 19th century.

In September 1888, Elektriska Aktiebolaget from Arboga installed electric lighting in certain parts of the city. Soon afterwards, the company decided to expand and started to look for larger premises.

Västerås had an enterprising local politician and industrialist called Oskar Fredrik Wijkman who got the city to agree to provide land, capital and electricity. The electric power would come from the Turbine House, making it one of Sweden’s first power stations.

The decision to move to Västerås was taken in December 1890 and the name of the company was changed to Allmänna Svenska Elektriska Aktiebolaget, later to be known as Asea. The Turbine House is now a museum and can be opened for visitors by prior arrangement at Västerås Tourist Center.

Similar